Reply To: Permission to undertake repairs/upgrading


We have a leasehold property which we currently rent out. When we had a problem caused by a leak from next door, where Camden’s contractors were renovating a social housing property, Zurich insurers paid out for repairs, including some loss of rent as for a while our flat was was uninhabitable. They were very helpful.

The main thing is to document everything really well:
– keep a log of your calls to leaseholder services or other Camden departments, with times of call and who you spoke to.
– get their permission ahead of time if you plan to get your own person in to do work that you want them to pay for (we did this in a phone call so there was no wait).
– take photographs of the problem and work completed.
– get receipts.