Licence for alteration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #5799

    I live on a terraced house ground floor flat with a garden inc. in my demise. I’ve instructed an architect and now have drawings for a wrap around extension the same as my neighbours have, from reading through the Camden documentation it seems like its well within an acceptable alteration.

    Does anyone have any experience or tips in terms of submitting plans to the ward housing manager? and anything that can speed up the process at it seems like a lot of things have to happen to get landlords consent to proceed!

    Thanks in advance,



    Hi Josh,
    It is quite a painful and long process.
    I first contacted the leasehold admin officer and submitted the drawings. I was then advised that the case was forwarded to the ward housing manager who would get back to me in 12 weeks.
    Emailed a few times during the wait, no response.
    After 12 weeks, no response.
    Emailed a few times again, no response.
    Eventually I got the landline number of the ward houseing manager. Called a few times and finally reached him.
    He then looked at my case and gave me consent to proceed. At this point I can have the lease plan of your property amended (with fee and building control approval).
    Good luck.

    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by thomasccp.

    You’ll need to escalate it as a formal complaint when you don’t hear back as that is the only way the lazy person responsible will lift a finger.


    Once you’ve identified the right team to be in touch with you are halfway there. You’ll need to find out it is not a planning issue, but simply a matter of landlord’s consent. If so, the ward housing manager should be able to grant consent for you to do with work in an email, with assurances from a surveyor etc. that the work is fine if there is anything structural such as moving or removing a wall, and with confirmation you will get building control done (potentially by self-certifying company doing the work). Changing the lease afterwards to reflect the work that has been done is your cost and takes a little time, but it’s all worth doing to improve your property.The council is very unlikely to refuse consent if it’s a reasonable change that is structurally sound and improves the property, so it’s more a matter of plugging away with the ward housing manager. Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.