water mains and house and contents insurance

Camden Leaseholders’ Forum homepage Discussion Board Repairs + Building Issues water mains and house and contents insurance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #4482

    Hi all,
    I need help advise with 2 issues. I have contacted both the council and leaseholder services in multiple occasion but no luck.
    I need to find out how to switch off the water supply to my bath tap. The tap is old and it started leaking and I am wasting around 5 litres of water every 24 hours.I had 3 plumbers in and none of them has been able to find the stop cock. I can’t believe the Council does not have drawings or plans of the building and unable to tell me where to find the pipes and how to switch it off.
    My second issue is my house and contents insurance. They are asking me if the roof on my building is made with concrete find or no find.
    In a few words if the concrete was made using sand or no sand.
    Again Council and Leasholder Services seem to be unable to find this information. I even called Zurich, the old insurance company hoping for them to be able to help but again nothing.
    Can somebody point me in the right direction please?


    Hello Fabi,

    Difficult one about the roof. You could ask the council who the last roof contractor was. (The roofs are maintained every so often.) Then contact the contractor and ask them.

    You could request that a stop-cock be installed. I gather it is illegal not to have one.

    Sorry I can’t be more helpful.


    Which block are you in?

    The plumbers should have just frozen the pipe from your tap and then put in a valve to isolate that in the future.

    My flat has the mains stop cock in the kitchen, however the cold water supply to the bathroom is via a tank on the roof which can only be isolated by climbing onto the roof and into the tank room.

    As for your roof, the council won’t know the exact make up. The insurance company you are using is asking daft questions. Find another provider and you’ll be fine.

    No provider I have ever used has asked those questions.


    Need to say where you live.

    You’ll generally find that question on mixed buildings&contents insurance forms. If you call them up, and explain the situation, they’ll usually say not to worry about it. Make sure to take a note of that though.

    Lucy – Son Repos

    I’ve had these issues too.
    The plumber found the stop cock (although I have no idea were it was, sorry).

    On the insurance I had the same issue. However, they only needed to know about the roof for building insurance, insurers don’t ask this if you only take out contents insurance. As we are covered from a building insurance side from the charges in the community fees I think we only need to take out contents insurance. In which case you shouldn’t get ask the roof question I think.


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.